Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ted Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

World News
Hamas official says group would lay down its weapons if a two-state solution is implemented
- - - We now must add Khalil al-Hayya to the Biden-Netanyahu mix. . .

By ABBY SEWELL
Updated 1:30 AM EDT, April 25, 2024

ISTANBUL (AP) — A top Hamas political official told The Associated Press the Islamic militant group is willing to agree to a truce of five years or more with Israel and that it would lay down its weapons and convert into a political party if an independent Palestinian state is established along pre-1967 borders.

The comments by Khalil al-Hayya in an interview Wednesday came amid a stalemate in months of cease-fire talks. The suggestion that Hamas would disarm appeared to be a significant concession by the militant group officially committed to Israel’s destruction.

But it’s unlikely Israel would consider such a scenario. It has vowed to crush Hamas following the deadly Oct. 7 attacks that triggered the war, and its current leadership is adamantly opposed to the creation of a Palestinian state on lands Israel captured in the 1967 Mideast war.
- - - - - - -
What's YOUR take?
Mine is that: THIS has cost thousands of lives SO FAR and the ONLY positive facet for us is that it's 'over there'!

Ted
Ted Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

WHY the seemingly SUDDEN, volatile support of the Palestinians in Israel?
ALL of us know enough about the 1947 creation of Israel in the midst of the myriad of Middle East Arab countries, and the strife/tension ALWAYS present in Israel, but until these universal University protests and demonstrations, I always saw United States citizenry, particularly college students, mostly as onlookers; WHATEVER has caused the unrelenting current public outrage?

Just curious for other opinions. . .

Ted
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast

Ted, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of life, especially for innocent people caught up in this debacle. But, my top concern is what is going on in this country. 112,000 Americans died of illegal fentanyl in 2023. It is pouring across our open border. Homelessness has long been at a crisis level for years and growing. The shambles of inner cities is horrific and heartbreaking. Affordable housing is a thing of the past, at least for the foreseeable future. The list goes on...and on and on. While sad, the focus should be on the country we live in.

Ted Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

The most inexpensive house in my formerly, readily affordable development is now about $800K.
There are so many people excited about their price increase UNTIL they realize that they have to live somewhere, and then . . .

As a chemist, I must admit the lethal dose of fentanyl in the 2-3 mg. range is terrifying; I've quite a bit of experience dealing with 'small', 10 to 20 mg. quantities of chemicals; 2-3 mg. is essentially invisible to the naked eye, since it hardly covers the TIP, NOT HEAD, of a pin!

Speaking of "open borders": We've discussed the Senate passed 2013 Immigration Bill that John Boehner refused to even consider in the House; today's Democrats caved into republican demands for a Southern Border component of the current Immigration Legislation, but Trump told (ORDERED!) Johnson NOT to even consider House debate because "I don't want to give Biden a victory of ANY sort"! Trump is a MUCH BIGGER problem for our Country than you realize!

Ted
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast

Yes, but the people who bought into a $300k neighborhood to find that X number of years later their property is worth 800k, have equity to work with. It is the first time home buyers who are struggling. Hedge fund managers have been gobbling up affordable housing with cash, curbside offers over the asking price, quick close and no contingencies. Then they them turn them into a rentals. I own a home in Ohio so that I can have a place of my own to stay on frequent visits with family. It is a neighborhood that is full of young families and a fair amount of retirees. The HOA is trying to stop the consumption of these homes by companies that convert them to rentals. This isn't limited to middle class neighborhoods in Ohio. This has been subtly going on for years throughout the country. It is going to be scarce to purchase a home in the next decade or so with the conversion to rentals.

The deaths from fentanyl stems from batch batches, deliberate or accidental, being illegally made and smuggled into this country. The flow of illegal border crossers soared under the Biden admin.

Ted, we've been over the last three immigration bills, how loaded with pork and over reaching they were with Democrats being unwilling to bend an inch. For one party to propose a disingenuous bill and blame the other party for not passing it, is egregious. You think in terms of one party getting "A win." A lot of tax paying voters think of it in terms of what affects their daily lives. Do you really want to rehash the same old, why immigration bills aren't getting passed discussion once again?

On the subject, why are you constantly distracted with the plights of another countries instead of being concerned with the crises the country you live in faces? I'm not big in intervention with other countries, but the one time it really mattered and would not have cost the US a massive amount of money, Bill Clinton said no. That was the genocide in Rwanda. How can you possibly see that while children were being slaughtered with machetes, the entire world sat back and didn't help. Why? There was no financial interest in it for them. Now, these crocodile tears while begging for billions to send overseas?

Ted Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

[quote=Cheyenne]
On the subject, why are you constantly distracted with the plights of another countries instead of being concerned with the crises the country you live in faces? I'm not big in intervention with other countries, but the one time it really mattered and would not have cost the US a massive amount of money, Bill Clinton said no. That was the genocide in Rwanda. How can you possibly see that while children were being slaughtered with machetes, the entire world sat back and didn't help. Why? There was no financial interest in it for them. Now, these crocodile tears while begging for billions to send overseas? [/quote]
I'm distracted because of the similarities between that awfully horribleJanuary 6, and Crystal Nacht which was at the forefront of Hitler's moves in 1930's Germany!
I'm going to start a thread working off of what Arnold Schwarzenegger said comparing January 6 to the 'night of broken glass', since it's probably good to hear and comment on what the former Governor of California has to offer in the midst of all of today's "plights of other countries"!

Ted
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast

Ted, you must be on some hard core drugs to believe this nonsense.

Link Copied to Clipboard